**Please note if you order for local pick-up your order will not be shipped. Our team will reach out within 24-48 hours of your order to schedule your worm pick-up at our location in Oxford, MS. Pick-up times and dates are from 7:30 am-4:00 pm Tuesday - Friday but we need to confirm the pickup date and time with you first so the worms can be prepared before your arrival.**
Why Buy European Nightcrawlers?
- European nightcrawlers are a diverse worm - they are larger than compost worms and lively so they make great fishing bait.
- Nightcrawlers are also excellent composters - they can quickly consume and process large amounts of organic material. By many estimates nightcrawlers can consume ~ 1/3 to 1/2 their weight in just a few days. So 1-2 pounds of nightcrawlers can consume several pounds of organic waste per week!
- Nightcrawlers are are easy to take care of and usually require less than 20 minutes per week of care (for feeding and light watering/misting).
- Nightcrawlers survive and thrive in wide temperature, moisture, and soil pH ranges. Nightcrawlers thrive in bed temperatures between 60-85 degrees Fahrenheit and can survive in colder or warmer temperatures.
- Nightcrawlers grow to 3-6 inches so they are a fantastic fishing worm and a sizeable protein-rich food for aquarium fish, chickens, pet turtles and lizards!
What's in Your Order of Live Nightcrawlers?
Your order will include hand-sorted live European night crawlers in fresh bedding, carefully packed in a branded, reusable sack. Your order will include:
- Mostly mature adult nightcrawler worms with some juveniles and possibly cocoons mixed in.
- Instructions for unpacking and caring for your live worms.
Our European nightcrawlers are great worms for fishing and excellent composters efficient at breaking down organic waste in vermicomposting bins and generating worm castings. We use them at home and at our farm location to process organic waste and generate premium worm castings.
What to do with your Night Crawlers
- Like other living creatures, nightcrawler worms are perishable and will not survive in certain conditions, so as soon as they arrive at your home the nightcrawlers should be brought inside and unpacked.
- As soon as possible (within a few hours at a minimum) the nightcrawlers should be placed in the bin or pile where they will reside. Since the nightcrawlers are shipped in their original bedding the entire bag of bedding and worms can be placed in the bin or pile.
- If the worms will reside in an indoor or outdoor bin, we recommend lining the bottom of the bin with slightly damp shredded or torn cardboard. This will act as additional bedding for the worms to grow and breed in.
European Nightcrawler Frequently Asked Questions
How Many Nightcrawlers are in a Pound?
- There are 300-350 nightcrawlers per pound on average.
How many nightcrawlers should I buy?
- For composting in a worm bin we recommend 1 pound of nightcrawlers per square foot of space. If you are starting a stackable worm bin, 1 pound of nightcrawlers is usually enough for your first tray. If you are new to worm composting, we recommend starting with a smaller order (e.g., 1 pound or less) of live worms until you are comfortable taking care of them.
- If you are an experienced worm farmer or composter, we recommend 2 pounds of nightcrawlers for every pound of food waste you would like to compost per day.
How big are European nightcrawlers?
- European nightcrawlers grow to 4-5 inches in length and 1/4 inch in diameter.
Are compost worm bins smelly?
No - they shouldn't be if a few simple rules are followed (see our blog for more info). Worm bins should mostly smell slightly musky like grass and dirt.
How fast will my nightcrawlers reproduce?
As long as bin conditions remain favorable nightcrawlers will reproduce very quickly. Mature nightcrawlers can reproduce as many as 1 cocoon per week, which on average will hatch 1-3 baby worms per cocoon. Upon hatching, baby nightcrawlers will usually reach the juvenile stage and sexual maturity within 6-10 weeks.
Live worm reproduction is impacted by bin conditions, density, feed type, and time of year, so be patient and let nature take over! In good conditions your nightcrawler population should reproduce and double in size every 3-6 months.
We're service-obsessed and committed to making your nightcrawlers order - and vermicomposting journey - a great experience. Have questions? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we're happy to help!