Limited time offer while worms are in stock! Get 15% off + Free Shipping on Pure Red Wigglers. Ships 3/4/24. *** Your discount will automatically apply at checkout***
Why Buy Red Wigglers from Brothers Worm Farm?
* Experience: We ship millions of red wiggler compost worms each year throughout the 48 states. Your order is the culmination of tens of thousands of successful shipments!
* Service: We will communicate frequently about your order, provide instructions on caring for live red wiggler worms so you are set-up for success, and are always available to help with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Live Delivery Guarantee: We guarantee live delivery of your red wiggler compost worms.
New to worm composting? Check out our Worm Composting 101 - the Complete Guide to Starting a Worm Bin article for tips and strategies on starting a worm compost bin.
"Received my red wigglers! They are warm and snug in their new home. I appreciate the great customer service...so refreshing. Will definitely recommend you to the gardening group in the neighborhood." Felicia W., Saginaw, MI
"The composting worms arrived safely and after 12 hours in their new home are doing great. Thank you for excellent service!" Harold R, Fayetteville, AR
"Shipment received on time and the worms are alive and kicking in their new compost pile. Thanks for everything!" John G, Los Angeles, CA
Why Buy Red Wiggler Worms?
Red wigglers (aka compost worms, red wrigglers, manure worms, or red worms) are considered some of the best composting worms for several reasons. Red worms:
- Can quickly consume and process 1/2 their weight in just a few days.
- Are easy to take care of and usually require less than 20 minutes per week.
- Survive and thrive in wider temperature, moisture, and soil pH ranges than other worms.
- Can consume many types of organic waste, and they are able to process the waste into rich vermicompost (aka worm castings).
In addition, most composting worms and red wigglers grow to 2-4 inches and are a fantastic protein-rich food for aquarium fish, chickens, pet turtles and lizards!
What's in Your Order of Compost Worms?
Your order will include pure red wiggler compost worms in fresh bedding, carefully packed in a branded, reusable sack. Your order will include:
- Mostly mature adult compost worms
- Instructions for unpacking and caring for your live worms.
Our compost worm population is pure Eisenia Fetida (aka Red Wigglers).
Our live red wiggler compost worms are grown at our worm farm outside of Oxford, MS.
When Will Your Red Wrigglers Order Ship?
We ship on Monday and Tuesday using USPS Priority and UPS. Most packages will arrive in 2-3 days once shipped.
We do not ship Wed-Fri due to weekend transit risks, where the worms can perish if they sit in a warehouse or delivery truck all weekend. Most orders received Wed-Sun will ship the following Monday.
You will receive an order confirmation after completing your order and a tracking number once the package is shipped.
**We're sorry that live worms can not yet be shipped to the states of Hawaii, Alaska or Puerto Rico.
What to do When your Red Wrigglers Arrive
- Like other living creatures, red wrigglers are perishable and will not survive in certain conditions, so as soon as they arrive they should be brought inside.
- The box with live compost worms should be opened and the cotton sack containing the worms should be opened as well. This helps increase air flow to the live worms and also cool them. NOTE: The worms may seem lethargic at first. This is because they have been confined to a small space and in transit for several days. We do not recommend refrigerating live worms.
- As soon as possible (within a few hours at a minimum) the red wrigglers should be placed in the bin or pile where they will reside. Since the worms are shipped in their original bedding the entire bag of bedding and worms can be placed in the bin or pile.
Compost Worms for Sale & Red Wigglers for Sale: Frequently Asked Questions
How many red wigglers should I buy?
- For composting in a worm bin we recommend 1 pound of compost worms per square foot of space. If you are starting a stackable worm bin, 1 pound of red wigglers is usually enough for your first tray. If you are new to worm composting, we recommend starting with a smaller order (e.g., 1 pound or less) of live worms until you are comfortable taking care of them.
- If you are an experienced worm farmer or composter, we recommend 2 pounds of compost worms for every pound of food waste you would like to compost per day.
Are compost worm bins smelly?
No - they shouldn't be if a few simple rules are followed (see our blog for more info). Worm bins should mostly smell slightly musky like grass and dirt.
How fast will my red wigglers reproduce?
As long as bin conditions remain favorable compost worms will reproduce very quickly. Mature red wiggler worms can reproduce as many as 1 cocoon per week, which on average will hatch 1-3 baby worms per cocoon. Upon hatching, baby compost worms will usually reach the juvenile stage and sexual maturity within 6-10 weeks.
Live worm reproduction is impacted by bin conditions, density, feed type, and time of year, so be patient and let nature take over! In good conditions your red wigglers population should reproduce and double in size every 3-6 months.
Do you ship red wigglers year-round?
- We ship red wiggler compost worms year round via USPS and UPS Priority and within 1-2 business days of your order (weather or transit times may move some orders to the following Monday). Delivery times will depend on your location but on average the live worms should arrive within 3 days after Brothers Worm Farm ships them.
New to worm composting? Check out our Worm Composting 101 - the Complete Guide to Starting a Worm Bin article for tips and strategies on caring for compost worms and starting a worm compost bin.
We're service-obsessed and committed to making your compost worm order - and vermicomposting journey - a great experience. Have questions? Email us at email@example.com and we're happy to help!
The worms came in on time and were in great condition ! Customer service was excellent!
1/4 lb used to be $26, now $32 is nearly 25% increase
Hi John, thanks for your feedback! When our prices were $27 last year they did not include shipping ($8.5). Our current price of $32 for 1/4 lb does include shipping, so prices have decreased since last fall (most of our costs have risen during that time). We also can't find an order under your Gmail address, if you'd like to contact us directly we're happy to look into your specific order.
Arrived as expected and still thriving!!
I did get worms, but they tell me “a handful” is 100. Not so sure about the amount but they seemed healthy.
Hi Adrienne: Thank you for the review. 100 compost worms in a ball is the size of a very small lime (so actually less than a handful!). Sorry for any confusion here - almost all worm farms receive this kind of feedback but we haven't found an easy way to address it. As info we have a standard and very simple process for filling worm bags that ensures the correct amount of worms goes into each bag. We've also counted 100 worms many times and do this on a regular basis to ensure what we are putting in the bags is correct based on the current size of our worm population. Hope this helps and thanks again,
Thank you for the excellent service you provided. The order was expedited in a timely manner and even sooner than expected, packaged well and best of all was the care you placed in the instructions which were not only so helpful but also showed the care and love you place in your own product. The worns were healthy and lovely. After 2 weeks they have been very productive. I'm super siked, thank you.