Brothers Worm Farm Worm Castings Are:
- Lab-tested - Tested by multiple, national soil labs, our results show worm castings packed with nutrients, minerals, and beneficial biology to power plant and root growth.
- Pure - Free from fillers like peat moss and dense with nutrients, our worm castings require low application rates that still yield great results.
- Non-toxic - Will not harm pets or children and safe to apply to any plant or garden.
- Used by the Pros: We supply castings to professional growers, farms, soil mixing companies, and even sport teams!
One national lab director had this to say about our worm castings:
"The biology levels are stunning and fantastic! Good bacteria and fungi levels, activity levels are great too. Protozoa populations are perfectly balanced and stunning! Normally you’d use 50lbs as a top dress per 100 sq ft of worm castings, but with this material, you can get away with 20-25lbs because the biology is so rich."
What are Worm Castings?
Earthworm castings, frequently referred to as "the superfood of plants", are the microbial-rich waste by-product that earthworms produce after eating. When live compost worms consume nutrient-rich organic waste (e.g., leaves, plants, fruit), their specialized digestive process converts the waste into an even more nutrient-rich compost called worm castings (aka vermicast, worm humus, or vermicompost).
Premium worm castings are rich in organic matter, soluble salts, important bio-available nutrients, and fungal and biological feeders (including beneficial flagellates, nematodes, fungi, and protozoa). This composition helps create healthy soil conditions for optimal seed germination and plant growth.
Benefits of Earthworm Castings
Worm Castings are a versatile soil amendment that can benefit houseplants, flower plants, vegetables, herbs, annuals, perennials, vines, and fruit plants. Castings can be used indoor or outdoor in potted plants, raised or in-ground gardens, or applied directly to a yard or growing area. They are a substitute for messy compost and manures and toxic fertilizers.
Earthworm castings are coveted by the vineyard and cannabis industries, organic farms, greenhouses, nurseries, and home gardeners, among others, because of their proven ability to increase plant yield and grow stronger, more drought-resistant plants and vegetables.
Earthworm castings promote plant growth and health through:
- A rich population of beneficial fungal and bacterial feeders - This active biology helps create optimal, fertile soil structure and nutrient uptake for plant growth.
- Improved soil aeration - The size and composition of earthworm castings promote air flow and improve water retention, both of which aid in root growth.
- A high concentration of water soluble nutrients - These nutrients are easy for plants to absorb and better than traditional fertilizers, which are toxic and often lost before plants can absorb them.
How to Use Worm Castings
Due to the rich nutrient composition of earthworm castings, castings are usually applied in a 1 to 9 (i.e., 10% castings to 90% growing medium) to 1 to 5 (i.e., 20% castings to 80% growing medium) ratio with a potting or bedding medium. Due to the quality of our worm castings, our laboratory soil experts recommend an application on the lower end (1:9 castings to potting medium) of this range.
As a Potting Mix for New Plants, Vegetables, Fruits, Trees or Seedlings (Indoor or Outdoor): Mix 1 part Castings to 9 parts potting medium before inserting your plant or seedlings, or place a spoonful of castings in the seedling hole before adding plants or seeds.
For Existing Indoor Plants: Sprinkle 1/2 inch to 1 inch of castings on the surface. Knead gently into the soil and water lightly.
To Top Dress Gardens, Lawns & Yards: Apply ~1 to 2 inches, or 1-2 pounds per 10 square feet, to the surface. Gently rake or knead into the soil and water.
For Existing Outdoor Plants, Vegetables, Fruits, Trees, & Shrubs: Sprinkle 1/2 inch to 1 inch of castings on the surface around the base and root area. Rake or knead gently into the soil and water lightly.
For more info on worm castings, their application, and their differences from compost, please see these blog posts:
Your Earthworm Castings Order
Your order will include fine, sifted worm castings carefully packed in a reusable, breathable cotton bag.
When Will Your Worm Casting Order Ship?
Most orders ship within 1-2 business days via USPS Priority or UPS Ground. You will receive an order confirmation after completing your order and a tracking number once the package is shipped.
**We're sorry that castings can not be shipped to the states of Hawaii or Alaska, or to Puerto Rico.
Worm Castings Questions?
We're service-obsessed and committed to making your order - and vermicomposting journey - a great experience. Have questions? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we're happy to help!